Health Care: FamilyCare and AllKids
How can FamilyCare and AllKids help me?
If you are a parent living with your children 18 years old or younger, or are a relative taking care of a child or children in place of their parents, FamilyCare may help you receive discounted health care coverage. AllKids is another state program that provides insurance for Illinois children only. The FamilyCare and AllKids programs, which are Medicaid programs for families and children, are administered by the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (IHFS). The application forms are the same.
Who is eligible for FamilyCare and AllKids?
Your monthly gross income level for the size of your family must fall under a certain limit to be eligible for FamilyCare and you must meet immigration and residency requirements. There are income limits for AllKids as well but no immigration requirements. These income levels may change annually; for income eligibility standards, go to FamilyCare and AllKids. Be sure to count yourself when determining the size of your family.
Due to the expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act in January 2014, many families who were previously covered under FamilyCare will be eligible for comprehensive Medicaid coverage. FamilyCare Assist will cover families who meet the eligibility items in the chart to the right.
Is FamilyCare or AllKids free?
No, but coverage under FamilyCare is provided at a low price depending on your plan. Current copays for doctor’s visits and prescriptions are $2 to $3.90.
Cost for coverage under AllKids depends on your family size and income. For more information on what you may pay, please visit AllKids.
What health care services are covered under the FamilyCare and AllKids programs?
FamilyCare and AllKids help pay for, among others:
- Doctor visits
- Dental care (emergency only dental coverage for adults; kids may have more dental care)
- Specialty medical services
- Hospital care
- Emergency services
- Prescription drugs
Services are provided by your “medical home.” A medical home is a doctor’s office or clinic that knows you and your health care needs. You must choose a medical home or select a doctor or clinic you already have as your medical home.
What documents will I need to gather before I apply?
Before you apply, make sure you have the following information, if applicable:
- Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or photo I.D.;
- Full names and date of birth for everyone that is applying for benefits;
- Social Security cards for everyone who is applying and has a Social Security card or the date when one applied for the Social Security number if it is pending;
- Alien Registration number for anyone who is applying and, not being a U.S. citizen, has an Alien Registration number;
- Proof of where you live;
- Information, such as paycheck stubs, about all income (including all income from other sources such as TANF, SSI, child support) received by all members of your family;
- Amount of housing costs;
- What utilities you pay;
- Amount of child support or spousal support you pay to someone else and the names of absent parents; and
- Amount you pay for care of a child or disabled adult.
How do I apply for FamilyCare or AllKids?
- Apply online. You can apply online by using the FamilyCare and AllKids online application system, or on the ABE portal.
- Apply by mail. You can complete the FamilyCare/AllKids application online, print it, and then mail it with all other required documents to the central AllKids Unit at the address below:
P.O. Box 19122
Springfield, IL 62794-9122 .
- Apply in person.
- You can apply at the Family Community Resource Center (FCRC) closest to you. To find an FCRC, use the IDHS Office Locator. You can also call 1-800-843-6154.
- You can also apply through a Navigator, a trained counselor who will help you complete your application. To find Navigator nearest you, go to Get Covered Illinois or call 866-311-1119.
- If you are approved, your FamilyCare or AllKids benefits usually begin the month you apply; however, they can be backdated three calendar months from the month you apply.
More Information and Resources
You can find more information online at FamilyCare Illinois. You can contact FamilyCare through the website by e-mailing your questions to email@example.com.
You can also call the FamilyCare hotline for help: 1-866-255-5437 (TTY 1-877-204-1012).
To find a medical “home,” visit Illinois Health Connect.
The Official Illinois Healthcare Marketplace can help you find more resources specific to you or your family’s health care needs.