After more than two years apart, the Shriver Center on Poverty Law is excited to bring together more than 500 advocates and activists in Chicago for our Homecoming Gala: Justice Reimagined. We’ve booked the Sheraton Grand Chicago Riverwalk for this event, and we can’t wait to see you all there!
The Homecoming Gala will give us the opportunity to reconnect, reimagine a just future for all, and renew our commitment to a nation free from racism and poverty.
Here are six reasons why you should buy a ticket now to the event of the year!
- The fight for racial and economic justice. You’re a warrior in this fight. You believe in a better world where race, income, and zip code don’t dictate life outcomes. We want to celebrate you and our successes together — and recharge for the battles ahead. The Shriver Center is the midst of a strategic planning process and will have a few updates to share. You’ve been an incredible supporter, but we’re asking for you to double-down in your commitment as we continue to meet the moment and build a better future.
- Lessons on how to be a professional troublemaker. Luvvie Ajayi Jones, our keynoter, is an internationally recognized speaker whose leadership on culture, authenticity, and disruption enables transformative action. Her renowned TED Talk, “Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable,” has over 8 million views and has placed her in the top 1% of TED Talks of all time. She also is the host of a podcast of the same name as her best-selling book, “Professional Troublemaker.” And Luvvie grew up in Chicago — where we know all good things come from!
- No rubber-chicken dinner! This is not your typical formal, sit-down dinner. Instead, we’re having a fun-raiser and cocktail reception with heavy appetizers and a silent auction. We’re packing a lot into 2 1/2 hours, with Luvvie and another special guest (keep reading for details), plus updates from our President & CEO Audra Wilson. The Sheraton is in a prime spot — you can continue the night out in the best city in the world!
- Zoom-free networking with the coolest people on earth! Although many of us enjoy the flexibility of having a hybrid work environment, I miss seeing people up close and in person. And I may be biased, but I truly believe we have the best team, the best board, and the best supporters. And, who knows, you might even meet a local luminary or two. Reconnect and be in active community with folks who are passionate about changing the laws and policies that keep people in poverty.
- Opportunities to make lasting memories. We’ll have a photo booth set up with props so you can capture fun moments with your family, friends, and colleagues. And, of course, we encourage all guests to take selfies and promote the evening on social media. Use the hashtag #ShriverJustice and don’t forget to tag @ShriverCenter!
- House music, house music, and more house music! As a house head, I’m thrilled about our special guest DJ Farley “Jackmaster” Funk. House music originated in Chicago — Farley is the producer who catapulted it into a global phenomenon over 35 years ago. One of the original members of the Hot Mix 5 on WBMX, he’s recorded over 3,000 songs. His biggest track is still the groundbreaking song, “Love Can’t Turn Around,” which was the first house music song ever to top the UK British charts. You can warm up for the dance party by listening to our special Homecoming Gala playlist on Spotify. Make sure you come ready to burn up the dance floor!
Show the Shriver Center some more love and join us on September 22! Space is limited, so register today. I’m looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks at the Sheraton!